Which is a charming and touristy town that one can take a charming and cozy train through the mountains to visit. Known for having lovely hot springs and a ghibli-esqe vibe.
We grabbed our Eki-Bens (neat little travel lunchboxes) and hopped on to one of the cutest little trains I've ever been on!
With lovely wooden interior, this train gives off a comfortable and warm vibe. Certainly feels pretty luxurious.
The ride down gave us a great look at the misty mountains (which, we were quite lucky to be sitting on the mountain side). The rain made the greens vibrant and verdant.
Truly a sight to behold!
The Eki-Ben was quite tasty too!
I just love taking the train, it is by far my favourite way to travel. I mean, I do love taking off in airplanes and the wonderful height and seeing the clouds down lit, feels like I've acended. BUT, the train has a wonderful lull, less white noise and more diverse sights.
Before I knew it, we had arrived at our destination!
And it was rainy, so so so rainy. We huddled under our one umbrella and make the long twenty minute walk to the Onsen.
Here's a local beer I picked up from the front desk. To be honest tastes like every other beer I've had in Japan, which isn't a bad thing since all the other beers have been just as good.
We then doned the given yukatas, and pranced like little show horses, clip clopping in our getas to be fed.
And boy, were we fed. Like. A lot.
Like.
Too much.
I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.
This mapleish, soybean flavoured mochi was so soft and warm. It was thing best I've eaten on this whole trip so far.
The courses just never stopped. We were eating for hours. At one point there was just a huge pot of rice (not just that bowl) that I could only take one bite.
Finally they concededly graced us with dessert. Impossible to describe every dish; it was all delicious. Take my word for it. Merry-Friend and I were giggling the whole time.
Afterwards, we snuck back to the room. The outdoor garden was lit by paper lanterns creating quite a magnificent sight.
We took our scalding hot baths out in the cool doors, with the fresh mountain air. My legs feel healed and my skin never softer.
I popped open my beer, chitchatted with Merry-Friend used the expensive face creams provided and then proceeded to pass right out on the soft futon.
Upon waking up, I felt an itchiness in my throat and a heaviness in my head. Definitely got sick, which is surprising considering how weak my immune system is now. I can only pop some advil until I can get my hands on some good Japanese cold drugs.
I enjoyed dipping my legs in the bath, the cool crisp mountain was refreshing.
Later, Merry-Friend joined me until it was time to tidy and get what will surely big a monster breakfast.
This fruit and yogurt cream was amazing. So so so fresh!
After way too soon, it was time to leave to Kyoto, unfortunately there wasn't any time to really explore Yufurin, but it was fun while we were here!
Everyone was so nice and helpful at our ryokan, we got a lift to the bus stop, bought our tickets and then got to enjoy the lovely landscape of the mountains. It was like this almost the whole way!
We got to the airport, took a shuttle. I picked up some medicine, vitamin C and will get some water once I'm past security.
The lady was so helpful and cute who helped me chose a medicine.
Time to board the plane and say goodbye to Kyushu region! Time for some what will surely be some spooky times in Kyoto!