The flight was a short one, the cold meds made me much better but quite snoozy. I really wanted to get some study time in on the flight, so I ordered some tea and biscuits. They were surprisingly quite tasty!
We took the limousine bus (a nice and cheap bus) to get to Kyoto station.
It was pretty packed. They even has seats that flipped that took up the middle isle. It took us a long time to get to our guest house, but boy is it cute! There's a sweet dog who lives here, Jiro!
Such a cozy spot! After check in, it was dinner time.
We passed a very popular place in lieu of a little but welcoming traditional Kyoto cuisine called Obanzai, the restaurant name was 豆cco.
The owner was a sweet older lady who taught me how to eat my tofu properly. It felt like we had a personal chef.
After getting dessert at the Lawson and meeting our fellow roommates it was time to pass out, particularly sleepy from the developing sickness I have.
After konking out, I had a full night's sleep and woke up with a nose full of snot. Nice.
I decided to take more meds, even if that means no beer. Alas.
It was also rainy but I feel like Kyoto is always rainy.
I strolled down to find the generous free breakfast that's offered! Everything was amazing, but in particular the miso soup!
Also more of a note to myself, but I need to pick up the soap they have at the guest house. It smells so good. Also, those fancy face creams.
Also a new toiletries bag.
...
And a long skirt...
Anyways.... The walk to the station was nice, I showed Merry-Friend where we stayed last time and it brought back so many wonderful memories of this spring.
Japanese train stations are so photogenic. Definitely plan to pull out my camera today.
Smartest-Friend recomended the cheese cream bun from Suizuya, so we had to pick one up! It was incredible, I'm going have to pick up another.
Nara is a beautiful park, I never get tired of the walk, or the funny deer harassing folks. The rain didn't deter the amount of people visiting.
My takumar really picks up some lovely hues. A lot of violet tones.
There's almost a natural vignette in these woods.
After handing out all our biscuits it was time to walk back.
We grabbed my favourite warabi mochi!
And back to Kyoto we go!
Gotta say, these cold meds are good, but man, they wipe me out, must have something in them. I'm writing all this almost passing out.
Okay, so combat fatigue, just do more. I did over 21k in steps. Unfortunately dinner plan A fell through, then B, but like the rest of the trip so far, plan C was the best.
As usual, snacks and study when we got back to the guest house.
We chatted with some of the other guests who were friendly! I met a young man who was also into photography so we chatted about that! His work is great, wonderful and at times, errie shots.
After bed, breakfast, and a little bit of laundry, it was time to be out the door! The plan for this rainy day was once again to do some shrine hopping!
Thankfully I'm feeling a bit better, but homesickness is getting strong. Even the magic of the red momiji can't combat my desire to see Best-boy and the Boyz.
It was pouring pretty hard while we were getting our Goshuins. Which are books one can fill at shrines or temples, and are usually hand written.
Probably a good thing I left my camera behind. Although, I later regretted it when the day started to clear up. Merry-friend forgot something at the guest house so we split up! I went ahead and walked to the next shine while she easily beat me, making her wait. Whoops!
After getting another Goshuin, which is starting to become a addicting and expensive adventure, we grabbed lunch in a small, somewhat smoky soba noodle place. I ordered what seemed to be the classic, I've mostly chosen what the server recommends, and everything's has been delicious so far. The set came with a little quail egg to mix into the dipping sauce. Noodles were fresh and nicely springy.
It was nice to walk around on this cold day, although some dampness had set into my bones.
Finally, we hit our last shrine before they closed for the day. It was a cute bunny shrine, which I made no wishes because usually bunnies and fertility go hand in hand.... yeah, no thanks.
Not to mention, this shrine had the best smell, like chamomile or honey.
We crammed into a classic sardine can Kyoto bus with the usual drawn out syllabus driver. This bus literally couldn't fit anymore people on.
Afterwards, we browsed around the shops until we were hungry. We picked an omurice place... but like usual... it had been too trendy and there were no seats (even if we wait---the sign said). So off to plan B.
Yup! Conveyor belt sushi, which honestly, I'm a fan. It's cheap, tasty and quick. It's fun to watch all the pieces go by. I love a gimmick.
Then we did a bit more shopping, by then my knee was starting to give, today was a 27k step day. Ouch.
We got a tasty crepe for dessert.
I bought a cheap cute plaid suspender dress with a V (which isnt a long skirt or a dress, yet some how both). I'll take a photo later! The fancy moisturizer, the handsoap I love here at the guest house and (at a previous shrine) a new bag!! Yay!
We walked home slowly, bought some alcohol (Orion beer yay!), met with folks from the guest house and I got some study time in. I also drew Jiro to add to his art gallery.
Dogs are so tricky to draw.
Tomorrow is our last day in Kyoto! I plan to spend the morning travelling to Kurama-dera, one of my favourite and most special places.
It was sad saying goodbye to this Guest house, it's tasty breakfast and cute dog.
Did my best to capture this aloof and adorable pup.
After packing, locking up my bag at Sanjo and a brief moment of confusion while trying to get to the Keihan line. I was finally on the lovely train to Kurama.
Don't let Google maps lie to you. There is an easier way to get there!
There's two particular spiritual places in Japan that resonate with me. First place is the Shintenoji temple and the second is Kurama.
The air here is different in these places.
The air here had a fresh smokey smell, a bit like a leather jacket. Then came the sweet smell of sandlewood.
Cold enough to see my breath puff out in front of me, warm enough in my wool sweater.
I breathlessly took photos on the hike up. The sunlight was warm, there was just the sound of the rustling of the leaves and my footsteps. I picked up a paper goshuin, and missed the hand written ones at the top, but I wasn't going to hike up again. Plus by the time I got back down, tourists and kids were increasing exponentially.
Love this lil guy!
I got to the top but my Takumar couldn’t take the direct sun.
Goshuin! Where are youuuuuuuuu.....
My ride down was just me. A personal car all for myself. It's such a pretty view! Even though I've already seen it, I still enjoyed it with wide eyes, taking in all the sights.
Grabbed the Keihan Express (and another cream cheese bun)
These are too addicting. Also some old man literally pushed me to fill his card first. Dude there's a line.
I gave him a very polite Sumimasen, and put my IC card in with a kind smile. Sorry my guy, I also want to catch the Yodoyabashi train.
Time to say a very quick 'ello to Osaka to see the Shintennoji temple.
The area around the temple is so tranquil, much like a park where people bring their dogs and the elderly stroll.
Then it was time to meet Merry-Friend at Sanjo Station and grab the shinkansen. Despite the rain, Kyoto sure was kind this time, perhaps it does best in the fall, it certainly show off its colours.