16.11.23

Sup Tokyo!

How ya been hanging? Oh sorry, you have somewhere to be? You're really busy?
Ah, just like old times. 


The shinkansen was a fine ride, nothing too notable honestly. It's goes really fast. Now if it had a wood interior, that'd be another story...

We went to a bar, it was sketchy. So we had drinks in the hotel.

The view.

After a sleep we woke up, lounged and it was time to explore. 

Our first stop was a shrine nearby! 


I placed a cherry charm on a tree.


Then headed up to Yakaka Ginza! This little district is one of my favourite places in Tokyo. It's cat themed with little food places dotted around! This area has a traditional and slower pace than your usual Tokyo hustle and bustle. 


This redbean and cheese pastry is something I haven't been able to let go of since I had it the first time. 

And the croquettes are just so flavourful and juicy! After we took a rest at a cafe that lets you paint Marimekkos! Didn't paint any this time but had a tasty cream soda float.


Then we made our way to Ueno Park. It was surprisingly chilly. 


Had a fruit sandwich in the park. This is something I wish was easily accessible back home. 

Went shopping at Mode Off! The deals are always incredible and the clothes in wonderful condition. 

After a brief emergency of Merry-Friend losing her phone (which was found not long after under one of the racks). I quickly bought a cardigan and skirt without much thought, as I had planned to meet with some good friends! 

The skirt ended up being a little tight when I got back to the hotel (I had forgotten the very critical and necessary battery pack and thus eeded to return). Which wasn't the worst since it was only 15$, but the cardigan was actually cashmere. What a find!!

I also picked up some cute accessories near Harajuku. A bow and a scrunchie. I'm so happy! I also got one of those fluffy white scarves everyone is wearing. 

We went to a fancy Japanese BBQ place, being a bit cheap, I got a salad and pork belly. But one of the Good Friends gave me a slice of the good beef and it was too tasty.


The yogurt lemon sour was sweet, tangy and creamy.


FINALLY SOME VEGGIES.
The walk around Harajuku was quite nice! I forgot how pretty the blaring lights can be. 


I then met up with Merry-Friend and headed back to the hotel, and grabbed snacks. 

I wanted hot sake. So I made it happen. 


Drink up! In about 30 hours I'll be home and I can hug my Best-boy and squeeze the Boyz.

Morning was the final pack, and things were definitely getting tight in my suitcase. Yikes.

But we checked out with success and it was on to breakfast at Sukiya! A 24/7 breakfast/gyudon place. I had first wandered into one on my very first day ever in Japan back in 2017. I was jetlagged, tired and hungry. Unfortunately, there were not many places open at 6am. This place fit my student budget and was open. The food was warm and that was enough.

And to this day, I still have a soft spot for this place. I quite like the grated yam gyudon bowl!

Not to mention, their bowls are so cute!!

After breakfast, it was time for Shimokitazawa! We had arrived too early (I feel like I've done this everytime), most stores only open at 12. So we walked around. Look at these fucked up flowers.

What's going on here? I don't know, but it's pretty. 

Soon enough Shimo started to open their doors. And uh-oh, everything is so cute. It's so hard to over spend, but I guess the memory of me sitting on top my bag to zip up this morning helped. 

We passed many cute stores, and then... 

The call...

The lights...

OF CRANE MACHINES. 

I'm helpless, I'm weak. I have needs too. 

And I was ready to be rid of all my coins.

I had my eyes on a jumbo snoopy plush. Absolutely careless about how I would take it home. I needed it. 

So in go the coins. After the second time asking the kind lady to reset the machine, she really set it at baby level. 

Snoopy will be Personal Item on my flight. I don't care. I'm so happy I could die.

He got (and me by proxy of carrying around something soft and fluffy) many kawaiis from strangers and shopkeeps a like. 

Now it time to hunt. I got a two dresses, a shirt and a skirt! I'll do a little Japan haul blog later to show off my finds! But I'm beyond happy with my selection.

And then we went to my favourite record store. Disk Ranch! 

I got the RIDE ON TIME by Tatsuro Yamashita vinyl for 45$, not a bad price if you ask me! And I took a chance on a random album that caught my eye. 

The shopkeep seemed happy about my purchase of this album, so I bet it's a good one.

Afterwards, we headed to Ueno and Merry-Friend wanted some cheap luggage. But on second thought, decided to chance it.


At least we got a tasty snack while we were there. 

I love plums so much! 

I forgot to mention the station nearest to our hotel is all Harry Potter themed. It's kinda sweet. The metro plays the soundtrack and there's decoration everywhere. Despite mixed feelings for the series, it's still pretty cool. 


We picked up our luggage from the hotel, and squeezed in our last purchases in a sing song manner. Of which caused one of Merry-Friend's zipper to pop.

But no fear, there were two zippers. 

And then one last hall for our favoriute Kobini snacks. I picked up a curry bun, a plum onigiri and a fruit sandwich (all which got vaguely squished on the way to the Keisei Skyliner).

We checked in our luggage (took about forty minutes of which I started to sweat like I was back in Ishigaki). 

I also had to pick up some Tokyo Bananas. They're just too good. 

And then it was time for our flight and soon I'll be running sleep deprived into my boyfriend's warm embrace! 

This trip has been wild, we hopped around Japan with abandon. Certainly a wonderful time to remember. 

Thanks for joining along with me! Writing this blog has been so much fun. I'm so happy about this keepsake. 

On to the next adventure!!!

Or more realistically, my little haul from Japan.

See you in Montreal!