10.11.23

Heya Fukuoka!

And now it's time to go to Fukuoka and visit Smartest-Friend! 

After a very brief flight we landed around sunset and checked into our hotel. 


The hotel is well enough, perhaps a touch small. Plus we had to sign up for something, I'm not sure, but signing up for things is a pill. 

But with that done, it was time to see Smartest-Friend! It's honestly hasn't been too long since I saw him, but I sure damned missed him! 

He took us on a little tour around the area. It was really great to see where he's been living and what his day to day looks like. I'm jealous he's living in such a cool place. Fukuoka has such a great vibe, like Osaka's cooler and less annoying sister. 

First we passed an underground pass which had many vendors, it all very faux European, including a very strange baby angel fountain.

We walked around the area to the canal, which was all lit up for Christmas, Smartest-Friend told me Fukuoka goes all out for Christmas and honestly it puts Montreal to shame. 


We walked around taking night shots! Here are some photos I quickly captured without too much thought, just getting a feel for the city. 


We ate Ramen that Fukuoka is known for. Ramen isn't my favourite Japanese dish, but it was warm, creamy and had a deep flavour, great for this little bit chilly night. The noodles were excellently chewy.

After hanging around we headed back to the hotel. As usual, I studied but I was so tired it was hard to focus fully. Bah, can't win them all. 

Upon waking up and getting my every increasing belongings into some semblance of order and grabbing a quick bite to eat at the nearby family mart, we met up with Smartest-Friend.

I had told him I thought that Osaka was like an oldest sister, but he told me Fukuoka was much younger. So more like the younger hotter sister. 

Our first destination was Fukuoka Tower! The weather was a bit muggy, but it surprisingly offered a great canvas to snap.

Smartest-Friend being the kind person he is, lent me his Minolta SR-1 equipped with a Minolta Auto Rokkor 55mm F1.8. He had also picked up some Fujifilm Superia X-TRA 400 to shoot with! I was trying hard not to jump for joy. I love shooting with film, I don't care what anyone says, it's just different. It just captures light differently and you will now be subject to my favourite snaps from the day. 


So as you can see, I totally had a blast. The Minolta has a crazy recoil which I couldn't control, causing a few accidental Dutch angles. But this film is beautiful, the greenish tint and rich hues really rendered Fukuoka quite well. 

I had also put a lock on the tower (much like the one I had previously place in Enoshima) for my Best-boy. He deserves it and I love him.


After a nice stroll along the water I got to see Smartest-Friend's home! It was cute and cozy, definitely dug the minimal aesthetic. Plus he has a view that really can't be beat (please see above). I also picked up my new 3DS XL that Smartest-Friend had received for me. I never used to like the 3DS XL because I'm a pixel snob, but let's face it, I'm getting old and I need the larger size. Plus this one has IPS (fancier) screens and it's white, reminding me of very first DS. 

God I love Japanese packaging. 

We then grabbed traditional Japanese for lunch, and strolled around some more, snapped some more and met up with Merry-Friend (who had gone strolling near the Tenjin area for some shopping). Once the sun had set and all thirty-six pictures were taken, it was time to develop (which only takes an hour here, ugh, I'm jealous).

We ate dinner at Saizeriya which is this super kitchy faux Italian restaurant. The dishes were incredibly affordable and surprisingly edible, for the price? Not bad at all. Definitely splurge on the desserts, those were actually delicious. 

While Smartest-Friend lent me his camera, I in turn lend him my Fuji, which I think he rather enjoyed. He took many flattering snaps, but here are two of my favourites! 


What a wonderful day full of wandering and sights! It was a great time catch up with a friend and I'm already sad to leave this place so soon! But with Yufurin around the corner, and the promise of hot springs, parting becomes just a little bit easier. 

The next morning we packed up our now getting heavy suitcases and headed to Hakata to see Smartest-Friend one more time before we catch the Yufurin-no-mori! 


It was a rainy morning, so we headed to a cafe to kill some time and get some breakfast, the first one we planned to go was closed so we chose a back up, which ended up being such a sweet little cafe!

I ordered a ice coffee that had whip cream and coffee jelly. I don't know what Japan puts in their whipped cream, but it's delicious, rich and never sweet. The jelly was perfectly sweet and it balanced out the darker coffee flavours.

We then ate some classic sandwiches!


I was just really into the vibe of this cafe. 

Nothing like being in a cafe on a rainy day! 

Afterwards we headed into a store to check out some of the vintage games. It's way too easy to get sucked into Japanese Malls. There must be some marketing tactic. Before you know it hours have passed and your wallet is empty, although, we were pretty good, and Merry-Friend picked up some amazing finds like the original Animal Crossing. 

I'm obsessed with this vintage styled art.

Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the station! I'll pick up one of those trendy long skirts I see everyone wearing when I no long have to worry about Peach Airline restrictive baggage demands. 


Fukuoka is a gem on the water, a city not entirely unlike Montreal in some ways and most importantly, it has a true friend in it! 

I'll be back soon! You haven't seen the last of me!

Now on to some hot springs!!!